Sightseeing in Nicosia

Visit the BEST sights in the capital!

View:
Faneromeni Church

Faneromeni Church

Faneromeni Church dominates the centre of the square and was built in 1872 on the site of an ancient Orthodox nunnery. The Marble Mausoleum on the eastern side of Faneromeni Church is situated on t...

Machairas Monastery

Machairas Monastery

Located on the slopes of Kionia, in the valley of Machairas mountains, Machairas Monastery is one of the three Royal and Stavropigials of the island and houses the miraculous icon of Panagia (the Virg...

Laiki Geitonia

Laiki Geitonia

Traditional Pedestrian Quarter of Nicosia, Laiki geitonia is the most wonderful and charming site of the old city. Traditional houses, shops, restaurants and galleries, have all been restored showing...

Leventis Municipal Museum

Leventis Municipal Museum

Founded in 1984, the Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia presents the history and social development of the city of Nicosia from the Chalcolithic period (3000BC) to the present day. The mus...

Archibishopic (Palace)

Archibishopic (Palace)

The new Archibishopic, the seat of Cyprus Orthodox Church, was built in 1960 in a neo-byzantine style. The Old Archibishopic was built in 1730 and stands alongside it. Address: Nicosia Town...

Panagia tis Asinou Church

Panagia tis Asinou Church

The church of Panagia Phorbiotissa, better known as Panagia of Asinou, is situated in the north foothills of the Troodos mountain range. It is built on the east bank of a stream, three kilometers sout...

Nicosia Municipal Art Center

Nicosia Municipal Art Center

NiMAC [Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Associated with the Pierides Foundation] is housed in the renovated building of the Old Powerhouse, located in the historical centre of Nicosia. NiMAC was inau...

Saint John's Cathedral

Saint John's Cathedral

Saint John's Cathedral in Lefkosia (Nicosia) within the old city walls is built on the site of the 14th century chapel of the Benedictine Abbey of Agios Ioannis the Evangelist of Bibi. Archbishop...

Sanctuary of Aphrodite - Tamasos

Sanctuary of Aphrodite - Tamasos

Tamasos was one of the most important city kingdoms of Cyprus, even though the exact date of its establishment and its founder are not known. Located on the left bank of the river Pediaios, in the...

Church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas (Saints Barnabas and Hilarion)

Church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas (Saints Barnabas and Hilarion)

The church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas (Saint Barnabas and Hilarion) is built on the west bank of Serrahis’ tributary river, Peristeronas, of the homonymous village.  Along with th...

The Cyprus Museum (Archaeological Museum)

The Cyprus Museum (Archaeological Museum)

The Archaeological Museum of Lefkosia consists of fourteen rooms surrounding a square central area and is comprised of offices, a library, storerooms and areas for preserving and studying items in the...

National Forest Park of Athalassa

National Forest Park of Athalassa

Located on the south-eastern edge of the city of Lefkosia, Athalassa National Forest Park is an oasis of greenery set across an area of 840 hectares, with many endemic, indigenous and adventive trees,...

Machairas National Forest Park

Machairas National Forest Park

The reason for declaring the Park a national forest park is to protect and utilize its significant functions and values: ecological, scientific, hydrological and recreational. For this purpose a Devel...

National Forest Park of the Pedagogical Academy

National Forest Park of the Pedagogical Academy

The Park is located between Aglantzia’s Municipality and the city of Nicosia while it is only 2 kilometers away from the city center. Its overall extent is 45 hectares. It includes an excursion...

Famagusta Gate

Famagusta Gate

Venetian walls encircle the old city having a circumference of 4,5 km and possesses eleven heart-shaped bastions. There are only three gates in the North, South and East. Famagusta gate is one of them...

Faneromeni Church

Among the buildings is the Library of Faneromeni

Faneromeni Church dominates the centre of the square and was built in 1872 on the site of an ancient Orthodox nunnery. The Marble Mausoleum on the eastern side of Faneromeni Church is situated on the front of the building and was built in memory of four clerics executed by the Ottoman governor in 1821, following the Cypriot revolt due to the newly declared Greek war of Independence. The square is surrounded by several neoclassical buildings featuring predominantly Greek, as well as, local Cyp...

Read More

Machairas Monastery

One of the three royal and cruciform monasteries on the island and hosts the miraculous icon of Virgin Mary

Located on the slopes of Kionia, in the valley of Machairas mountains, Machairas Monastery is one of the three Royal and Stavropigials of the island and houses the miraculous icon of Panagia (the Virgin Mary) of Machairas, which is attributed to Agios Loukas (Apostle Luke) the Evangelist. According to tradition, an unknown hermit sneaked the icon into Cyprus during the iconoclasm years (between the 8th and 9th century AD) and kept it in his cave until his death. Blessed with the divine grace,...

Read More

Laiki Geitonia

Its operation brought life and movement to the area

Traditional Pedestrian Quarter of Nicosia, Laiki geitonia is the most wonderful and charming site of the old city. Traditional houses, shops, restaurants and galleries, have all been restored showing the Cypriot architecture of a more graceful age. Location: East of Plateia Eleutherias  

Read More

Leventis Municipal Museum

An amazing Museum in the Capital City of Cyprus

Founded in 1984, the Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia presents the history and social development of the city of Nicosia from the Chalcolithic period (3000BC) to the present day. The museum is named after its donor Anastasios G. Leventis Foundation which bought and restored the building and it is administered by the Municipality of Nicosia. In 1985, the Association of the Friends of the Museum was established. Its main objective is to assist in enriching the museum's colle...

Read More

Archibishopic (Palace)

Its ground floor houses the Ethnographic Museum of Cyprus

The new Archibishopic, the seat of Cyprus Orthodox Church, was built in 1960 in a neo-byzantine style. The Old Archibishopic was built in 1730 and stands alongside it. Address: Nicosia Town Telephone: +357 22 255 460

Read More

Panagia tis Asinou Church

In 1985 it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List

The church of Panagia Phorbiotissa, better known as Panagia of Asinou, is situated in the north foothills of the Troodos mountain range. It is built on the east bank of a stream, three kilometers south of the village of Nikitari. In 1985 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range. Panagia Forbiotissa used to be the katholicon (monastery church) of the Monastery of Forbion, as its name implies. Accordi...

Read More

Nicosia Municipal Art Center

It has a multifaceted educational and pedagogical activity

NiMAC [Nicosia Municipal Arts Centre, Associated with the Pierides Foundation] is housed in the renovated building of the Old Powerhouse, located in the historical centre of Nicosia. NiMAC was inaugurated on 14 January 1994 and it is the oldest and largest Contemporary Art Centre of the island. Its architectural restoration and conversion into a beautiful art and cultural space was awarded the Europa Nostra Award in 1994. During its twenty plus years of its operation, the Nicosia Arts Centre...

Read More

Saint John's Cathedral

Dedicated to St. John the Theologian

Saint John's Cathedral in Lefkosia (Nicosia) within the old city walls is built on the site of the 14th century chapel of the Benedictine Abbey of Agios Ioannis the Evangelist of Bibi. Archbishop Nikiforos rebuilt the monastery chapel from its foundations in 1662. Dedicated to Agios Ioannis the Theologian, it is small, single-aisled and barrel vaulted in the Franco-Byzantine style, with external buttresses and a west portico. In contrast to the deliberately modest exterior that was requir...

Read More

Sanctuary of Aphrodite - Tamasos

Follow the Aphrodite steps

Tamasos was one of the most important city kingdoms of Cyprus, even though the exact date of its establishment and its founder are not known. Located on the left bank of the river Pediaios, in the area where the villages of Politiko, Pera and Episkopio are found today, the large archaeological site has unearthed the temple of Aphrodite, two majestic royal tombs, as well as several smaller ones. Part of the city’s fortifications and copper-processing installations can also be seen at...

Read More

Church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas (Saints Barnabas and Hilarion)

Religious Route

The church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas (Saint Barnabas and Hilarion) is built on the west bank of Serrahis’ tributary river, Peristeronas, of the homonymous village.  Along with the church of Agia Paraskevi of Geroskipou, they constitute the only five-domed churches of Cyprus. The church of Agios Varnavas and Ilarionas, is dated to the end of the 11th - beginning of the 12th century. It is quite possible that it replaced an earlier church, which probably belonged to the type...

Read More

The Cyprus Museum (Archaeological Museum)

Outlines the long history of the island's civilization

The Archaeological Museum of Lefkosia consists of fourteen rooms surrounding a square central area and is comprised of offices, a library, storerooms and areas for preserving and studying items in the collection. The objects in the rooms follow a chronological and a thematical succession. On the right side of Room I a series of objects (tools, stone vessels and figurines) is presented, which constitute the earliest evidence of human presence on the island during the Neolithic peri...

Read More

National Forest Park of Athalassa

It is also characterized as the green lung of Nicosia

Located on the south-eastern edge of the city of Lefkosia, Athalassa National Forest Park is an oasis of greenery set across an area of 840 hectares, with many endemic, indigenous and adventive trees, shrubs and herbs. Its network of trails - covering 20 kilometres - makes it a popular place for cycling, walking and dog walking (on a designated pathway). The Botanical Gardens are open daily and are free of charge to visit, whilst the grounds of the park also incorporate a Visitor’s Cent...

Read More

Machairas National Forest Park

The two most important streams of Cyprus spring from the Park

The reason for declaring the Park a national forest park is to protect and utilize its significant functions and values: ecological, scientific, hydrological and recreational. For this purpose a Development Plan of the National Forest Park will be pursued and implemented.     The park offers 3 picnic areas with tables, drinking water, parking places, toilets and children’s playgrounds. For those who would like to follow the paths of nature, there are 5 trails in the...

Read More

National Forest Park of the Pedagogical Academy

A walk here is worth to relax

The Park is located between Aglantzia’s Municipality and the city of Nicosia while it is only 2 kilometers away from the city center. Its overall extent is 45 hectares. It includes an excursion area, a pedestrian area, a bicycle area, a playground, a kiosk and a parking area. Ideal for those who want to escape the noise of the city and families as there is lots of space for the kids to run free in the open area.  Location: Aglantzia.

Read More

Famagusta Gate

The most important of the gates of Venetian Nicosia

Venetian walls encircle the old city having a circumference of 4,5 km and possesses eleven heart-shaped bastions. There are only three gates in the North, South and East. Famagusta gate is one of them. The gate was built in 1567 by Venetians, as a part of the new city walls and was originally called the Porta Giuliani after its designer Giulio Savorgnano who designed the Venetian walls. It was restored by the Ottomans in 1821 and a lookout was added to the gate for a pro...

Read More
κατασκευή και σχεδιασμός ιστοσελίδας